FRUGAL LIVING How I decorate cheap home interiors/decorating

With all of the TV shows on remodeling and decorating it's hard not to get bitten by the already hungry "redecorating bug". It's even harder to resist the temptation to spend alot in doing so.
I find adopting an ecclectic or country/ antique decor theme is the most forgivable. You hav more leeway as far as the look and condition of you display pieces. Perfection is not a quality of these themes. So worn and dented items are often an asset to my home.
The first thing you need to do to help keep this job cheap is change the way you use department stores and catalogues. These are just idea referances for me. I guess I kinda look at merchants as idea givers, not as though these things I see are really for sale. Kinda the way you'd look at someone elses home.
Once you decide what you'd like to do whether it's a vase "so" high to fill that spot on the mantle or another shelf to hang on the wall.
Now think where you can get that for free. Is there something simular in the garage, outside or even in another room. If so great! Otherwise you should think if you can make it. If you are looking for a shelf, do you have scrap wood around? Does it have to be a shelf how about an old dresser or even a sewing machine table. think about alternatives.
The next places to look for your piece should be word of mouth. Tell your friends and family what your on the look out for. Maybe someone will offer it up for free or cheap! Then check used stores, garbage (I actually keep a schedual of when big garbage pick up is in mine, and better neighborhoods around) People are wastfull and through out great stuff, wait till night and go back if you are embarassed. I prefer to do it during the day, it's less embarassing to me if i can say hey are you throwing that out?, do you mind if i take it? Don't forget garage sales and the classified adds.
The key is to be patient, do not give in. You will ultimately find a deal.
While at these places I always am on the look out for floral arrangements with my home's color scheme. They are easily taken apart and rearranged to look fresh. Also picking wild flowers and entwining grapevines, bendy young tree limbs and roots into wreaths is so easy. (I can't believe what a department store can charge for these!)

This is my favorite. All of my pictures are "Home and Garden Interior's". I am a hostess junkie. Not really I am a FREE junkie. These pictures were all of my free hostess gifts. Or close to free. I asked my cunsultant if i could save my hostess points from party to party. I held about two a year. I used them as excuses to "get together" with friends. I had coffee and whatever box cake/ brownie mix was on hand out. The key here is to NOT BUY ANYTHING.
I don't care how cute it is, it costs too much! These party products are always way over priced.

Well the trick to any frugal life is to be patient. You will find the deal your looking for, mine has not been "luck" as some friends have said. It is holding out for free or near to it. Good luck and post your ideas or let us know if you are in need of something (maybe we can help).

here are some links to find free and cheap home interiors:
www.freecyclefinder.org
www.madebig.com

No comments: