FRUGAL LIVING I LOVE FREE STUFF

A huge number of people find it difficult to make ends meet today. I am a pennypincher. It is what tickles me the most. Finding that deal, stretching that dollar and most of all making or getting something I NEED for free.

I know there are several hundred sites out there on living cheap and dollar stretching, somehow they always seem to just miss the mark for me.

I am not interested simply in saving a few dollars on a purchase or making a few things for the house out of purchased items. I am talking about supplimenting serious money spenditures with thrifty techniques.

There are a few ideas that may seem too extreme to you to actually impliment in your life, but keep in mind that all of these techniques have originated from my or other's real life experiences.

First things first, throw away your embarassment.
Whenever you, your family or home need ANYTHING from now on, your first thought should be where can I get that for free or can I make it. If it's not possible, the next thing to consider should be where can I get that used. Now if that's not possible, you can see what store has it on sale.
If all of those places aren't workable now you ask yourself, DO WE NEED IT. Some times this is the case, ok fine, now you may purchase it new and full priced.

Your new favorite go to resources for purchases should be as follows:
THE LIBRARY (how too books and do it yourself also see homesteading/how people made stuff back when)
THE INTERNET (same as library how too's)
THE GOODWILL and every other used store within driving distance.
THE DOLLAR STORES
ALL DISCONTINUED AND CLEARANCE BINS at every store you walk into!
GARAGE SALES
BIG GARBAGE DAY PICK UP (yes you can, go to another neighborhood if need be)
http://www.freecyclefinder.org/ (this is a site with local exchanges people list stuff they are giving away!)

Always consider making whatever you may need. You would be suprised at what you can accomplish with what you have and what friends may have that they no longer use. Think about the settlers, where did they get "it" or how did they make "it". I've made a bed, shelves, a tv stand, lotion, a gate, geez, the list goes on. (I will be listing my how too's here too)

Start thinking of your dollars in product form. For example I use a pack of hot dogs. (I can get a cheap pack of 8 hot dogs for a dollar which could be dinner if need be). So when I am not sure if I should buy something I think how many dinners could this amount of money be? Then I decide if I should really buy it.

This series of Frugal Living will continue HOWEVER, keeping true to the site's main goal, if anyone needs ANYTHING, please continue to contact me or post it in the comments. The same procedure should be taken by anyone willing to offer up help contact me with what you can do.

I do hope to publish the very most helpful information for my readers, so also feel free to list any resources you may have as far as referance sites for needy people... and us penny pinchers too! Be sure to look for the new listing of links covering cheap and frugal living!

No comments: