How Do You See A Teen Mom? How My Mother Saw Me Through. (WHAT I GAVE MY MOM FOR MOTHERS DAY)

Memories came flooding to my head, burning my eyes in our small town grocery store yesterday; "Mom, there's that pregnant girl" my daughter whispered.

I was 15 when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. She is now one month shy of that age.

I saw myself yesterday. I saw my own mother standing there too.


Clinging to her mother for dear life, this girl quietly and not too obviously shamefull. I knew it was hard for my mother then. Not until now did I realize what kind of strength it actually took. There she stood guarding her daughter's feelings. Her head up high as if to say go ahead look a little longer. Dare to say something to my daughter.

As my own daughter gets closer to that age, I find myself often reliving those feelings. Praying to God she does not have to face the feelings and struggles I did. I wonder if I have the will and strength within myself to protect and provide the same quality of support my mother did.


Could I be tough enough through those glares? How about the whispers. Would I be able to hold my own tears in for what she would be feeling, losing and facing? Would I be strong enough not to show my tears so that she may know I can handle "it" through the times she cannot?

I urge all of you to think about the courage and drive it takes a teen mom to face the world. She has to face her peers, teachers and family every day.


Smile and say hello the next time you come face to face with a young mother. She is a child who must become what it takes the rest of the world years to accomplish. An adult. She won't have the luxury of living on pasta and rooming with friends through college. Responsible for her childs' well being, nutrition and growth, she must hurry up and create a future for herself so she can provide one for her own child. How long did it take you to find your career and home? Have you yet? She may be a child now, but soon whether she or anyone near her likes it, she will be an adult.

Hope her mother is as wonderful and strong willed as mine was (and is). Wish for her at least for some person to stand half as strong as my mother did for me. A teen mom needs someone to tell her she is still beautiful, smart and wonderful. That she will be a great mother. Someone to let her know that she is such a capable person that her own child/children will turn out just as wonderful as she is. That no matter what else life may have in store, that someone will love them and be there to lean on.


The Nat'l. Crisis Pregnancy Helpline 1-800-521-5530


http://www.teenage-pregnancy.org/resources/ list of links including pregnancy options (abortion and adoption)counselors teen parenting guides.


http://dmoz.org/Kids_and_Teens/Health/Teens/Pregnancy/ extensive list of links to resources from personal teen mom stories to specific programs (financial and legal help, ect.)even a link to help you "break the news" to your parents.

If you are in need of even just a listening ear, please list it in our classifieds or contact me directly at lullabell@frontiernet.net

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank You

lullabell said...

you're welcome mommy!!!